Roy Hibbert Has Some Learning To Do; No Homo Is Not Cool

This is an NBA site. But I felt really strongly about this that I just HAD to talk about it. Especially after seeing people's different reactions over this.

Once upon a time, I was that guy, too. I used to say stuff like, "Wow. That was just gay." Or "that was pretty homo right there." Or "That one was really weak, you stupid faggot."

But like some people that use these terms, they really weren't meant to be "harmful." It's just the way society has shaped us over time. And I've learned over the years; I've learned not to use these phrases anymore (and I'm sure you guys will accuse me of lying but maybe you should try to get to know me first).

As time has gone by, I've slowly championed people who are gay. Part of that is I know a lot of people who are gay. Part of that is because people have tried to offend me by saying I like (apparently, for a lack of a better term) gay stuff. I am, after all, the guy that watches teen dramas and listens to pop music, which is apparently only reserved for teenage girls and gay guys. I just let it slide off because I'm very secure of what I like. Not that there's anything wrong with guys liking other guys but that is simply not my thing. Women attract me, not men. That's simply how I am. But enough about my preferences.

It disappoints me that Roy Hibbertcenter for the Indiana Pacers, went to that route in his postgame presser"No homo," he says after being stretched out by the Heat players. And I can't even see the context of this one.

Regardless, it's bad judgment. I don't care if it's said in the postgame presser or in the locker room but why is saying "no homo" (or for that matter, "pause" after saying an implied homosexual joke/statement) so cool? Is it because they're manly? Is it because they're above the homosexuals? I mean, it's not even funny. And Hibbert sounds like an intelligent guy; his interviews are some of the best in the game with his apparently now-unfiltered candor. It's just that "no homo" hardly accomplishes what message he's trying to convey. Sure, it gets people talking, for better or for worse. But really, what of that phrase?

Hibbert has a lot to learn. But tell me what "no homo" accomplishes (I used that phrase for a joke once in a podcast and it came out completely uncomfortable)? "But they're just words!" Yeah, like a big "F U" are just words, right? Basically, when you say "no homo", you're saying that you're better than being gay. Being gay is terrible; it's awful. You know what? It wasn't a choice. What if I say something stereotypical and say something like, "No (race of people)"? Yeah, it may not be the "same thing" but, on the surface, I'm still "hurting"/"discriminating" a type of people even if I'm "joking."

We're advancing in a society and I'm glad that we're starting to accept gay people as part of our world. Yeah, we have a long way to go considering Jason Collins coming out was still a news item. But stuff like "no homo" and "pause" are not clever, are not funny, and goes to show that the perception towards gay people is still bad. Was it Roy's intent to hurt somebody? Very likely not; he'll learn (Hibbert did say he had no problem with gay people like Collins). But we gotta do better with our choice of words. I mean, seriously, what did people who are gay ever do to hurt you

Bottom line, we have to get better as people. And if you think we're being "too sensitive", well, you have to think of how we've progressed as people and think how gays are being treated right now. Put yourselves in their shoes.

These phrases have to go.

(EDIT at 06/02/2013, 1:02 A.M.: Yes, I am aware that Hibbert has reached out to Collins about this on TwitterI think Hibbert is a great kid and will continue to do wonderful things in this league. I hope that this becomes a learning experience for him and that we all learn from this. Thanks for reading.)

(EDIT at 06/02/2013, 8:34 A.M.: Hibbert has since apologized for his comments.)

PHOTO CREDIT: Ron Hoskins/Getty Images.

Follow Rey-Rey on Twitter@TheNoLookPass. And "LIKE" us on FaceBook. Thank you!

We're always up late. How about buying us a coffee? Or an energy drink!?

About Rey-Rey

Rey-Rey created The No-Look Pass on December 2008. When he's not writing, he likes playing old-school video games. He's also in the process of writing a terrible novel.

26 thoughts on “Roy Hibbert Has Some Learning To Do; No Homo Is Not Cool

1. June 1, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Well done, as always, Rey.

2. Rey-Rey
    June 1, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Thanks.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this but Roy Hibbert is still young. He’ll learn. I know he’s better than that.

3. Jon
    June 2, 2013 at 12:06 am

Dude it’s no big deal. It’s just like a “that’s what she said joke”. Or a “we’re not gay, not that there is anything wrong with that ” joke from Seinfeld. What he said sounded like it could be sexual towards Lebron and he is a guy so therefore it sounded like a gay sexual reference. I he had added a not that there is anything wrong with that after his no homo come t would it be ok then. It’s a dumb childish joke. Lighten up

4. Rey-Rey
    June 2, 2013 at 12:16 am

I’m not sure if you read everything I said since I made it pretty clear as day.

The more we ignore this, the more it will be cool for people to say “no homo”, which, by the way, is NOT even a clever or funny phrase. But see, explain that to a gay 15-year-old kid that loves basketball. He’d wonder if there’s anything wrong with him. Why was it so necessary for him to say “no homo”? It may not offend or hurt you but it has the potential to offend or hurt gay people.

You’re right; it is a dumb, childish joke. That’s what it was. And it shouldn’t be encouraged.

5. June 2, 2013 at 12:18 am

“Stretched out” is a phrase that could be mistaken as innuendo for choking the chicken. There are some wackos out there in the social media who try to purposely misconstrue a person’s comments into making it something that is not, so to circumvent this, men would often add “No homo” at the end of their sentences as a way of saying “Don’t take my words as a homosexual come on.”

I can understand where people are coming from with this. When they hear this phrase, they think that “No homo” could be mistaken as a gay slur, something in the lines of “Stay away from me, gay person.” Although he tried to protect his sexaulity which was his original intention, the people who are not familiar with this “disclaimer card” could easily get offended by it, so in the end, “No homo” does have its reprocussions.

As of this publication, Roy Hibbert has reached out to Jason Collins for an in-depth discussion regarding his comments. Good of him to do that, but bad of him to even bring the disclaimer card up in the first place. In addition to a very huge fine, there is a rumor that Hibbert may be suspended for Game 7.

6. Tee
    June 2, 2013 at 12:24 am

This article just annoyed me. It’s not even that serious! Saying “no homo” is not even an offensive word! Homo is just short for homosexual, which is what gays are!! It’s not like he called someone a faggit or something . And FYI , saying “pause” does NOT only apply to homosexuals! “Pause” is ANY sexual reference , GAY or STRAIGHT! Lighten up and take the sticks out your a**!! Seriously!

7. Rey-Rey
    June 2, 2013 at 12:24 am

Roy seems like a great kid. I’m sure he meant no harm. But that’s the thing: words can hurt. Why would you say that sort of thing? Ever since “no homo” and “pause” have been around, I have never found them the least bit funny.

And like I said, it gives the perception that being gay is awful and terrible and the worst of all evils. We KNOW Roy is not gay (he has a girlfriend/wife, I believe) so there was really no need for it. It was unnecessary and not funny.

I do know that Roy has reached out to Jason Collins. He probably won’t be suspended for it but will probably be fined, especially since he said another expletive during that presser.

8. Rey-Rey
    June 2, 2013 at 12:25 am

Not serious until someone kills themselves because his or her sexual orientation is being looked at as awful.

Thanks for reading.

9. Noel Edmonds
    June 2, 2013 at 12:47 am

I just wrote a detailed reply to this post and keep getting this message: “Hmmm, your comment seems a bit spammy. We’re not real big on spam around here.”

What is the deal?

10. Rey-Rey
    June 2, 2013 at 12:49 am

Well, I have no idea about that. Try to shorten it a bit, maybe?

11. Noel Edmonds
    June 2, 2013 at 12:50 am

Fair enough. Here’s Part 1:
    =======
    I agree with Jon, I don’t think this comment is any different than a “That’s what she said!” joke. Are both childish and immature? Yes. But are both discriminating or patently offensive to a particular group? In my opinion, no.

When someone says, “That’s gay,” it’s usually a euphemism for “That’s stupid” and has nothing to do with homosexuality in a literal sense. However, comments like those ARE homophobic because they equate being gay with stupidity and give off an air of superiority which demeans homosexuals.

“No homo” is just like “That’s what she said!” in the sense that both are crude, sexual jokes. I hate to reveal my juvenile thinking, but the author mentioned not understanding the context of the comment. When Roy Hibbert said, “[LeBron] stretched me out so much,” he was alluding to anal sex.

12. Noel Edmonds
    June 2, 2013 at 12:52 am

And now Part 2:
    =======
    Now imagine if the following had happened:

Reporter asks, “Paul, how did LeBron attack your defense tonight?”
    Paul George answers, “Well, he came at us hard and stretched it out.”
    Hibbert retorts, “Ha, that’s what she said!”

I’m sure a few reporters would have laughed, while most would have rolled their eyes. Yes, it would have been crude, but I don’t think anyone would think Hibbert hates women for delivering such a line. In my opinion, “no homo” just asserts one’s heterosexuality, as does a man making a “That’s what she said!” comment.

BUT WAIT, why did it have to be a woman? Why couldn’t it be “That’s what HE said!” instead of her? Is that because he would never have sex with a man? Is that because Roy Hibbert HATES GAYS AND WOMEN? WHAT IS GOING ON?!

13. Rey-Rey
    June 2, 2013 at 12:59 am

Thanks for being patient and your reading. Now my response.

For the record, I didn’t say Roy Hibbert HATED homosexuals (or hated ANYTHING, for that matter). I said he should know better than that. But what he said was unnecessary and has the chance to offend gay people. And I wasn’t born yesterday; I used to say “that’s gay”, too, whenever I saw something stupid but I don’t say it anymore because I KNOW it offends gay people. Why can’t we just say “that’s stupid”? (Also, thanks to the allusion. I wasn’t thinking of going that far. Hah!)

But why would Roy have the need to assert that? He has a girlfriend/wife. It’s likely the macho culture in sports. And as I said, what if a guy who is gay (closeted or not) saw that presser? Even if they knew it was a joke, it hurts. I don’t want to repeat myself but words can hurt.

As for “that’s what she said”? I personally don’t say that phrase these days but that was quite well thought out. I applaud that. And I can’t honestly say I’ve heard “that’s what HE said” much.

However, “no homo” is way more blatant, in my opinion. Thanks for your comments.

14. Noel Edmonds
    June 2, 2013 at 1:17 am

I appreciate your response, Rey-Rey.

Also for the record, the last paragraph in my previous post was entirely sarcastic. It was a feeble attempt to satirize what I believe is the rapid-response-outrage culture that exists on the Internet, particularly when EVERYONE USES ALL CAPS. I don’t think Roy Hibbert hates gays or women and I certainly don’t imply that you said he did.

To boil down my argument, I think “That’s gay” is considerably more offensive than “No homo.” The former is actually homophobic, while the latter is just crass. (Again, in my opinion.)

Another question I might raise is this: Is there something inherently offensive in stating that you’re NOT a homosexual? For example, I am a straight man. I am “not homo,” to paraphrase Roy Hibbert. Can a gay person be offended by that? If so, would that mean the word “homo” itself is objectionable?

(By the way, this is the first time I’ve visited this site and I’m enjoying the interesting discussion!)

15. Rey-Rey
    June 2, 2013 at 1:28 am

Thanks again for your civil response, sir.

Oh, no. I get that it was sarcastic. I agree “that’s gay” is offensive. I hold “no homo” on the same level because it’s said to distance themselves from homosexuals, which, in essence, is being homophobic. And for saying that, you’re basically being insecure and saying that being gay is such an awful thing.

There’s nothing wrong with saying you’re straight. I am straight, too. But in this society we’re in, being gay is this awful thing so we have to be a little sensitive towards them because they’re not as accepted in society as other “types of people.” It’s “not the same thing” but there was a time when “colored people” weren’t accepted. Imagine THAT in today’s world. We all have to be more tactful. I do believe Hibbert will learn from this. And I hope we ALL do as people.

This is actually quite a rare non-basketball editorial on this site. I promise to talk more basketball next time. Once again, thanks for commenting.

16. Moe
    June 2, 2013 at 10:09 am

Don’t know how I ended up here but I did. and this post became a lot longer than intended to bear with me please.

Here are some ?s for u.

What happened to freedom of speech? If he doesn’t mind the fine why can’t he say what he wants to?

How do you know being gay is NOT a choice? I havn’t heard any scientific studies claiming that its by choice or by birth. I believe its still being debated but if it has been resolved I would like to know details from a credible source.

Word don’t hurt people. People hurt people. Words would only hurt people if that person lets those words let it get to you correct?
    like how u said earlier about you liking some teen dramas n pop music and u said u just let those negative comments slide off. Why can’t gays do the same? Maybe because they ARE DIFFERENT from striaghts or is there somethings fundamentally different with you and gays?

17. Moe
    June 2, 2013 at 10:09 am

U also mentioned “its not serious until someone kills themselves because his or her sexual orientation is looked at as awful”

Y only bring up gays? What about obese people? People with disabilities. They are many who commit suicide because they believe they are not up to “par” with society. Suicide is a serious problem not reserved just for gays. Therefore I believe saying “no homo” is not a serious problem.

One last comment. I tried looking for gay ADULTS who have either gotten killed or lynched like blacks or even discriminated like sitting on the back of the bus because they were gay. just like how blacks were by the white man back in the slavery days up until the civil rights movement.
    The only thing I can find are KIDS doing dumb things to other kids on drugs and I just dont see the same kind of discrimination toward gays like the blacks or even jews had to encounter.
    I am saying this because I tried to “be in their shoes” and besides the name calling, which every group in society has a bad name for any and every group u can think of. But it seems like a gay persons life is MUCH easier than those that are kids of mexican illegals or even the illegals. Muslims and people who look “middle eastern” get way more discrimination these days than black people these days.

And to be honest I am a striaght guy Japanese guy in my 30s. I got shit for being Japanese in the early 80s. Got shit for Pearl harbor which has nothing to do with me and when I bring up the facts about the a-bomb, I get the response “you guys(japanese) deserved it’s
    should have I gone ape shit to the press and cried like a baby that I was mistreated?
    Am I depressed and have suicidal thoughts because of this?

Sorry for the longs post!

18. Moe
    June 2, 2013 at 10:21 am

oh regarding an adult killing a gay, there MAY be the FIRST case EVER that happened on May 19th, 2013 in NYC. But still has to go trial and the suspect has been arrested for attempted murder before in 1998 but no details of the case has been disclosed.

So we shall see how this unfolds and see if he was acting out SOLELY on killing a gay person for being gay

19. Rey-Rey
    June 2, 2013 at 10:35 am

This is a lot to take in. I bet you didn’t know why Jason Collins wore #98. Read up on that.

Why did I only bring up gays? Because that was the issue at hand. Let’s not digress further from what’s being talked about.

So you’re Japanese, right? Words can be hurtful; you know that. So you can’t tell me how a gay person’s life is easier. Why do you think it took so long for Collins to come out? It’s like being gay is this awful thing. Everybody is different. Sorry, that not all can be as strong as you claim to be. Again, words can be hurtful.

You can have freedom of speech. We also have the freedom to say he’s being insensitive to a group of people.

Also, did you have to make a choice to like guys and girls? It’s not a choice. It just happens.

As for the rest of my answer, it’s all in that article. I don’t want to repeat myself.

20. Moe
    June 2, 2013 at 11:31 am

I do know why jason collins wore 98 but do you know what ACTUALLY came out of the report?

The teenager who was killed was a meth head that happened to be gay. The suspects wanted to jack him so they kidnapped him and beat him up, jacked him and left him. Sounds like any other drug deal gone bad but in this case the victim was gay.
    and once again i reiterate the suspects and victim were all TEENAGERS doing dumb teenager things. That is why they are not treated like adults. They don’t have the rational thinking, not saying all adults do but the law definitely differentiates the two.

now u asked why do I think jason collins waiting this long? hmm maybe because he is a free agent this year and needs a job. what a great way to promote/market yourself to come out as the first gay athlete. Its very very very smart on his part. this argument will be thrown out by me if jason collins becomes unemployed and a bum because of his coming out which I can bet he will never become that now.

As for me, I don’t think I’m strong, I just think words don’t mean shit and actions definitely speaks louder than words. If some calls u a name, ignore it. Reacting to it just stoops u down to their level. That is what I did when I realized I was just barking at the wrong tree for no reason.
    It might be a cultural thing since in Japan they are the only race to self-sacrifice for honor. (seppuku or harakiri for white people)
    I am not suggesting that I am strong but maybe that gays do have a fundamental problem in their psyche?
    Im no scientist so I dont know but you asked me if I had a choice to like girls or guys.
    As a male, I believe my NATURAL selection is toward a female, which I love.
    IF and only IF I was attracted to a male while still being attracted to females then it was a choice. If for some reason I cant be attracted to females and I am attracted to males only and being a male, I would definitely think it wasnt a mistake but an irregularity.
    But that is just my opinion. Either way dont you think if u were a male and are still attracted to a female but u are also curious of males, wouldnt that be 100% choice?

finally with the freedom of speech u r right. people will say what they want so y filter it and make everything pc? dont u think it would be better for society if everyone just spoke the truth and acted honestly? Y sugar coat stuff? y be sensitive toward a group when u wernt even addressing that group?

21. Rey-Rey
    June 2, 2013 at 2:49 pm

STILL a lot to take in. You want to keep debating this with me, you can E-Mail me (rey@thenolookpass.com). It’s been a long day.

See? Then you’re different. If words don’t mean a thing to you, fantastic. But words can be hurtful towards a lot of people. MAYBE it’s a cultural thing but you have to understand that it’s different strokes for different people. Realize that.

As for Jason Collins? Why does everything have to have an ulterior motive? Don’t you think he took this long because he was AFRAID? It’s STILL a scary world out there for people who have different sexual orientations. He thought this through before coming out. Of course, he cares what his family and friends think. And you say words don’t hurt? What if his family disowned him? “Those are just words”, you say. THEY CAN HURT.

I don’t know what version you read and, by the way, Matthew Shepard was 22 years old when he got killed. Read this.

And that’s just it. Some people are born with that irregularity. You said NATURAL selection. Some are bicurious and some are NOT.

AS for freedom of speech, sure, there’s that. But you also have to face the consequences of what you say within that freedom. There’s also something called tact and being considerate. Be sensitive towards people’s feelings. At some point, you’re going to have to be blunt if it’s needed. But again, it’s different strokes towards different people.

22. Kurt Evans
    June 2, 2013 at 2:54 pm

“Rey-Rey” wrote: “… why is saying ‘no homo’ (or for that matter, ‘pause’ after saying an implied homosexual joke/statement) so cool? Is it because they’re manly? Is it because they’re above the homosexuals? I mean, Christ, it’s not even funny.”

Why is using Christ’s name as an expletive so cool? Is it because you’re manly? Is it because you’re above the Christians? Are you insecure and Christophobic? Are you saying that being Christian is “terrible” and “awful”? I’d be interested in your explanation of the difference.

23. Kurt Evans
    June 2, 2013 at 2:55 pm

(continued)

I’d also be interested in your explanation of why you tell me to comment using my real name when you write under a pseudonym.

If sexual orientation is genetically determined, why are there sets of identical twins in which one partner is homosexual and the other is heterosexual?

Finally, Roy is a 26-year-old man. Referring to him as a “kid” comes off as arrogant and condescending.

Kurt Evans
    Mitchell, South Dakota

24. Connor
    June 2, 2013 at 6:38 pm

What do you mean by saying “It wasn’t a choice”? Are you implying that “Gay People” were forced into the situation? I really don’t understand.

25. Paul
    June 2, 2013 at 9:08 pm

You used Christ’s name in vain which is more offensive than anything Hibbert said. Not defending Hibbert- but don’t be a hypocrite

26. John Smith
    June 3, 2013 at 9:50 am

I understand why you are harping on Moe’s responses and the reason being that Noel Edmonds’ was very direct and correct in stating that “No Homo” is not an offensive derogatory term. It is simply stating that that statement could have been misconstrued as a Homosexual reference and he wanted to clarify that he did not intend it in that context. That’s COMPLETELY different than saying “That’s Gay’ which denotes a negative connotation, as if to equate being stupid with being homosexual. REALLY WELL SAID NOEL!!!